Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sudan

As President Bush enacts yet more sanctions against Sudan over the recent violence in Darfur, I'm left to wonder: what the heck is going on here?
When I was in high school, I was assured that no one was doing a thing, and that this would be the most violent genocide since Rwanda; 400,000 dead in 6 months, I believe? Years later, the toll has apparently remained under 200k, and most people seem to be saying that we still aren't doing enough and that a serious crisis is just a second away.

Forgive me, but I think the problem is being a bit overstated. That's not to say that we shouldn't be working to undermine Sudan (although these sanctions probably won't do much) as it is one of the most irresponsible and inhumane governments on the planet. I would, however, like to see the moral crusade die down a bit, so cooler heads prevail and we can undertake a rational strategy.

No comments: